2019 Flood Info


*Items in yellow are important information!

Click Here for Form

The City of Wood River was a successful applicant for the special Nebraska Department of Economic Development (DED) disaster recovery grant. Funds may be used for housing recovery efforts within the City of Wood River. The City’s application allows for funding to be used for rehabilitating single family residences for homeowners and single family rental rehab. Per DED rules, all of the projects will benefit homeowners and renters at or below 120% of the area median income. The DED grant program does not allow for reimbursement of expenses for work already performed or services already contracted for. It can only fund work that has not been undertaken, so property owners may want to consider holding off on repairs if they feel they may be eligible for this program. Heartland Disaster Recovery Group (HDRG) Outreach Coordinator Elizabeth Troyer-Miller stated “Although that is naturally a disappointment to those who have already made repairs, this is still a very good thing for the community of Wood River. By obtaining this funding, the new money can be used for remaining work. The City and HDRG hope this will allow funds donated to the Grand Island Community Foundation and Heartland United Way to be stretched further toward reimbursements for work already completed.” Sara Arnett, HDRG Chairperson added “Although there will never be enough money to make people whole, we aim to help lessen the financial strain the flooding event caused. The DED funding creates a brighter future for many residents who were impacted by the March flood event.”

The City, Wood River Vision, and Heartland Disaster Recovery Group will be meeting with DED’s program staff and South Central Economic Development District, our grant administrator, to review the grant process. As with any project, there are several steps administratively that the City has to accomplish before we can begin the grant making process. Administrative staff are working on accomplishing these steps on the City’s behalf as quickly as possible. However, SCEDD has cautioned that the DED processes typically take 1-3 months for all of the administration work to be completed. Arnett explained “We’ll be pushing for the process to occur as quickly as possible without running afoul of the mandatory grant funding systems.” Mayor Cramer stated “We expect this program to run similar to our successful owner-occupied rehab program did, except that this time the income limit is higher and it’s open to both home owners and owners of rental properties impacted by the March flooding.”

Once the administrative work is accomplished, and DED has granted us “permission”, the City and housing staff will hold a public meeting for interested homeowners and contractors to discuss how the program will be operated. Public notice of the meeting will be given and postcards mailed to those homeowners, landlords and contractors who expressed interest in participating in the program. At the public meeting, applications will be made available to interested parties and staff will be available to answer questions. In the meantime, anyone interested in registering to receive a postcard announcement of that public meeting may complete the brief contact information form available at the City Office, on the City website, and on Facebook at “Welcome to Wood River” and the “Heartland Disaster Recovery Group”. The form must be returned to the City of Wood River office at 108 W 10th Street or dropped in their night drop box in the drive through lane.

Anyone with pressing questions is welcome to contact Arnett, Elizabeth Troyer-Miller ([email protected]) or their HDRG Community Disaster Advocate.




NEWS RELEASE – 8/27/2019
FEMA Offers Free Repair, Rebuild Information Sessions at Local Stores
The Home Depot
Hall County
911 Aleen Drive, Grand Island, NE 68803
9 am – 6:30 pm, August 28 – Sept 1





Community Disaster Advocate – Heartland Disaster Recovery Group

Basic Details: (.pdf)

  • Part or Full Time
  • Grant funded for 1 year with possible extension
  • Requires evenings and weekends
  • Bachelor Degree and experience working one on one with clients preferred

Apply online

News Release

Disaster Registration Deadlines Approach

LINCOLN, Neb. – There is less than a week remaining for survivors to register for disaster assistance after the winter storm, straight-line winds and flooding in March.  The deadline to apply is June 19, 2019 for both the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) individual assistance grants and the low interest loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)

FEMA disaster grants for qualified homeowners and renters may help pay for basic repairs to make a home habitable, provide temporary rental assistance and provide assistance for serious disaster-related needs not covered by insurance.

After registering for disaster assistance with FEMA, survivors may be referred to the SBA to apply for a low-interest disaster loan. SBA disaster loans provide the largest source of long-term federal disaster recovery funds for homeowners, renters, business owners and private nonprofits.

There are multiple ways to register:

  • Online, visit DisasterAssistance.gov.
  • On a smart phone, download the FEMA app and click on “disaster resources,” then “apply for assistance online.”
  • By phone, call FEMA’s toll-free registration line at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY).

The deadline for local governments, tribal nations and nonprofit organizations, such as houses of worship, to register for FEMA Public Assistance is June 20, 2019. FEMA reimburses eligible applicants for the eligible costs for debris removal, emergency protective measures and the repair or restoration of disaster-damaged public buildings. The program also encourages mitigation measures to protect these damaged facilities from future natural disasters.

For any SBA disaster assistance questions or application information, residents and businesses can visit SBA.gov/disaster, call SBA’s Customer Service Center at 800-659-2955, or email [email protected], or 800-877-8339 (TTY).

For more information on Nebraska’s disaster recovery, visit fema.gov/disaster/4420

The Grand Island Community Foundation and the Heartland United Way created this to update all of our applicants on the status of funding.



Federal Disaster Assistance Is for Nebraska Renters too

Renters in Nebraska counties and tribal areas whose homes and property were damaged by the March severe winder storms, straight-line winds and flooding may be eligible for federal disaster assistance.


The Elks Lodge established a Nebraska Elks Disaster Relief Fund for flood victims. If you know anyone affected by the recent floods please share. Request is not limited to Elk members but they will be given priority.

Good news!
FEMA just extended the deadline for affected Nebraska residents to for disaster assistance. Don”t wait to apply.

Individual Assistance Deadline Extended to JUNE 19

To register, go to DisasterAssistance.gov or
Call FEMA at 800-621-3362; (call 800-462-7585 TTY), 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT seven days a week.

  1. FEMA disaster grants:
    1. Are NOT income-based per se.  They want everyone to apply.  Everyone needs to get registered with FEMA asap, no later than 5/20.
    2. Initial reply from FEMA is very likely a denial.  That first go-round is only based on whether the home is safe to occupy.  Oftentimes, the denial is because FEMA needs more info (i.e. copy of insurance settlement, etc.)
    3. The purpose of the FEMA grants is to ensure everyone is “safe and secure”.  FEMA won’t rebuild your basement; they want homeowners to borrow for that but they may be able to help some.
    4. If the basement is necessary to house members of the household (NO room for them on main/upper levels), the homeowner is more likely to receive assistance.
    5. They encourage everyone to appeal that first ruling if you disagree.  The appeal letter must explain WHY you feel you are eligible for an award.  Submit receipts for items you purchased, services you paid others to perform, etc.  Have the contractor clearly indicate right on the bill that the services performed were due to flooding.  Include a copy of your insurance settlement.  Refer to your case #.
    6. A homeowner who has already replaced his/her water heater CAN get reimbursed for it by FEMA.
    7. Submitting it online via the disaster.gov website is the best approach.  Realistically, you’ll hear back within a few weeks, even though FEMA says it can take up to 90 days.
    8. If FEMA agrees with the appeal, they’ll either reinspect the property or make an award.
  2. SBA Loans:
    1. Meanwhile, everyone needs to also submit an application to the SBA loan program no later than 5/20!  The estimate the loan application takes 20 minutes to complete online.
    2. SBA loans are available for home repairs and for personal property lost in the disaster, as well as for businesses.  See info sheets attached.
    3. If the loan amount is greater than $25,000, SBA will take a lien on the property but otherwise the loan is unsecured.
    4. In underwriting these loans, SBA will factor in the loan-to-value (equity available in the house) but there’s no limit.  Loans for home repairs are not income-based.
    5. The loan rate available is based on creditworthiness/whether the homeowner is likely to be able to borrow through traditional sources instead
    6. Expect a response from SBA within 7-10 business days (14 days max).
    7. The homeowner then has 60 days to accept the loan offer or not.  If the offer expires but the owner later decides they do need it, they can just contact SBA again to have it reprocessed.
    8. Once the SBA does it’s loan underwriting, FEMA then has a feel for the homeowner’s situation and may be willing to consider a larger grant based on need.
  3. Flood Insurance:  Some homeowners have asked about whether they’re required to purchase FI if they get assistance from FEMA.
    1. Generally speaking we would advise the homeowner to ask FEMA to clarify that for their particular situation.  But flood insurance is only required if the property is in Zones A or V; beyond that it’s optional for all homeowners and is more affordable for all the lower risk zones.
    2. Read the award letter from FEMA.  If the applicant gets a personal property award, there’s an offer of 3 years free flood insurance in the letter.  However, the applicant MUST CALL to actually activate that policy so make sure to take advantage of th

FEMA’s Disaster Recovery Center in Wood River will close on May 2. Don’t miss your opportunity to register in person and/or get your questions answered regarding your Disaster Assistance Application. . If you were affected by the flood in any way you qualify for some assistance. Yes, there are forms and applications to fill out. And then there are more forms and applications to fill out. It is worth doing!!

If you received a letter from FEMA saying you are ineligible, ALWAYS FOLLOW UP WITH A PHONE CALL OR VISIT TO DRC. Many times, you are simply missing some sort of information and you can move forward. So, a denial letter may not be the final word on your application.

Take note: FEMA may (or has) turn you down the first time. They will recommend you to SBA for a low interest loan. DO THIS LOAN PROCESS then appeal FEMA’s refusal. Most likely FEMA is looking for this information they wanted the first time. If FEMA accepts you, take the FEMA offer but you do NOT NEED TO ACCEPT THE LOAN. You can turn down the loan and still get a FEMA grant.

EVERYONE, YES, EVERYONE needs to be talking to FEMA. They only had 80 people in their office this last 3 weeks, when we know that 380 houses were affected in one way or another. Don’t let this opportunity get by you if you can use the help.

The DRC is open Monday thru Saturday, 9am – 6pm at the Wood River City Hall, 108 W. 10th St. in Wood River. Don’t miss your chance to get answers and information face to face.

Even if you can’t visit the DRC, you can always get help thru FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Assistance line at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585; or use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS). Telephone registration is available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Central Daylight Time seven days a week.

Realtors Relief Foundation
Application deadline is June 15, 2019

HGI Realty of Wood River is making all flood victims aware of a flood relief grant now available from the Nebraska Realtors Association, which they’re a member of. This grant is available to homeowners and residential tenants who were victims of flood damage this spring.

Grants are available, up to a $1000 limit. Applicants need to complete an application (available through the below link), documenting the damage that they incurred from flooding.

Personal property of tenants may be included. However, if the tenant has vacated their rental property, their lease is considered terminated and they would not qualify for consideration.

There is a total of $500,000 available for these grants, in the State of Nebraska. The deadline for application is June 15, 2019.

Please help spread the word on this grant program!


FEMA’s Disaster Recovery Center in Wood River will close on May 2. Don’t miss your opportunity to register in person and/or get your questions answered regarding your Disaster Assistance Application.

If you received a letter from FEMA saying you are ineligible, ALWAYS FOLLOW UP WITH A PHONE CALL OR VISIT TO DRC. Many times you are simply missing some sort of information and you can move forward. So, a denial letter may not be the final word on your application.

The DRC is open Monday thru Saturday, 9am – 6pm at the Wood River City Hall, 108 W. 10th St. in Wood River. Don’t miss your chance to get answers and information face to face.

Even if you can’t visit the DRC, you can always get help thru FEMA’s toll-free Disaster Assistance line at 800-621-3362 or (TTY) 800-462-7585; or use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS). Telephone registration is available from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Central Daylight Time seven days a week.


FACT SHEET – 4/24/2019
FACT SHEET – 4/19/2019
FACT SHEET – 4/15/2019
FACT SHEET – 4/12/2019



They are still here in Wood River. If you need help please go up and talk to them. If you have been denied and want to do an appeal go talk to them. It’s so much easier to do it face to face than on the phone. Get the help you need!!

News Release

State of Nebraska and FEMA Will Open a Disaster Recovery Center in Hall County
LINCOLN, Neb. – The State of Nebraska and FEMA will open a Disaster Recovery Center in Hall County.
Center location and hours:

Wood River City Clerk
108 W. 10th St.
Wood River, NE 68883
Opens April 19
9 a.m. to 6 p.m. CDT
Closed Sunday

Centers are operating in several other locations; survivors can visit any open center. To find locations, go online to FEMA.gov/DRC or call the Disaster Assistance Helpline at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY).

SFH All Program Outreach Flyer

STRETCH – Loan Comparisons 

504 Flyer

This is Nebraska regarding the availability of housing programs for rural communities.  USDA Rural Development in Nebraska has received a federal allocation of almost $119 million in Fiscal Year 2019 to assist rural communities with their housing needs.

Attached are fact sheets with a summary of our housing programs for home purchase and repairs.  These programs are also available to assist families that have been impacted by the recent disaster and to help replace and repair homes lost to the flooding.

Website: www.rd.usda.gov/ne and click on the Key Programs for Single Family Housing

Single Family Housing (SFH) Rural Housing Programs –Well built, affordable housing is essential to the vitality of rural communities. Our Rural Housing Programs give families and individuals the opportunity to buy, build, repair, and own safe and affordable homes.

  • Our programs provide home loans with 100% financing and no down payment is required.  No other program provides 100% financing, with exception of VA to qualified veterans
  • All communities in Nebraska are eligible for housing programs with the exceptions of Fremont, Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, Lincoln, North Platte, Omaha and South Sioux City/Dakota City.
  • Provides financing to assist in meeting demands of work force housing to support jobs in rural communities
  • Eligibility for these loans, loan guarantees and grants are based on family income and varies according to the average median income for each county.
  • Guarantee Program (Home Purchase) – Moderate Income (115% of median)

*1-4 Person household $82,700 – $93,850;  5-8 person $109,150 – $123,900

  • Direct Program (Home Purchase) –Very Low and Low Income (50%-80% of median)

**1-4 Person household $54,400 – $65,300; 5-8 person $71,800 – $86,200

  • Direct Program (Home Repair) – Very Low Income (50% of Median)

***1-4 Person household $34,000 – $40,800; 5-8 person $44,900 – $53,900

Guarantee Rural Housing (GRH) Home Ownership program Highlights100% FINANCING

Loans made by Approved Lenders – an approved lender list is available on the Nebraska Rural Development website at www.rd.usda.gov/ne and click  on Single Family Housing Guarantee Loan Program under the KEY PROGRAMS

GRH Program is Budget neutral – does not require taxpayer dollars to fund program

*Moderate income

DIRECT Home Ownership Program Highlights100% FINANCING

Affordable rates below market rates (currently 3.50%).  Subsidy available to as low as 1% to qualified applicants

**Low and Very Low income households

Mortgage Limits $195,000 – $215,000 depending on county

DIRECT Home Repair Loans and Grants

Loans – Up to $20,000 available at 1% interest rate amortized over 20 years

Grants – $7,500 lifetime grant assistance to remove health and safety hazards – must be unable to afford loan – elderly families (62 yrs age or older)

***Very Low income

We want to help families in YOUR COMMUNITY to become homeowners and invest in the community or assist current homeowners with needed home repairs.

Who are we serving in Nebraska (2018 statistics):

Served 79 counties
Approximately 90% first time homeowners
Approximately 64% moderate income;  36% low/very low income
Approximately 16% minority populations

During the past 5 Fiscal Years, through SFH programs, we have assisted 5,369 rural Nebraska families for home ownership and home repairs to households that are unable to obtain conventional financing.  We have invested almost $538.3 million in rural Nebraska communities for home ownership and repairs.  Help us keep these federal funds in Nebraska to assist your communities.

Disaster SNAP Benefit Application Site
Applications accepted April 17-19 AND April 22-25, 2019
Site Hours:
9:00 a.m. –6:00 p.m.
Wood River Fire Hall
410 Green Street

You may qualify for D-SNAP if you have suffered one or more of the following disaster-related expenses:
Home or business repairs
Temporary shelter expenses
Evacuation or relocation expenses
Home or business protection
Disaster-related personal injury, including funeral expenses
Lost or no access to income due to the disaster, including reduced termination or delayed receipt or income, for a large part of the benefit periodIn some cases, food loss after ta disaster, like flooding or power outages

Eligibility is based on: DHHS official will determine eligibility based on available income, minus unreimbursed disaster related expenses. All resources except cash on hand and in back accounts will be excluded from the eligibility determination.



FACT SHEET – 4/15/2019
FACT SHEET – 4/12/2019











Red Cross Assistance Registration in Wood River
Asistencia de Cruz Roja La registracion en Wood River

WHO: Primary, pre-disaster residence was located in one of the impacted zip codes in Nebraska (proof that the applicant is the legal owner or lessee of the residence is required); and Primary, pre-disaster residence was destroyed or sustained major damage from the 2019 Nebraska Flood as verified by the American Red Cross.
WHERE: City of Wood River – Council Chambers, 108th West 10th Street, Wood River, Nebraska
WHEN: Monday, April 15, 2019 (12 p.m. – 7 p.m.)


Asistencia de Cruz Roja La registracion en Wood River


FEMA  Damage Assessment Representatives will be going door to door starting Saturday, April 13th. They will have proper identification and don’t be afraid to ask for it. They are just assessing damages and will not be asking for any personal information.




If you applied for assistance from FEMA, you will receive a letter in the mail or via email that explains the status of your application and how to respond. It is important to read the letter carefully. Your letter will include the amount of any assistance FEMA may provide and information on the appropriate use of disaster assistance funds.

You may need to submit additional information for FEMA to continue to process your application.

If you have questions about the letter, you may go online to DisasterAssistance.gov; call the disaster assistance helpline at 800-621-3362 or 800-462-7585 (TTY); or visit a disaster recovery center. To find center locations and hours, go online to FEMA.gov/DRC or download the FEMA mobile app.
If you disagree with FEMA’s decision, or the amount of assistance, you may submit an appeal letter and any documents needed to support your claim, such as a contractor’s estimate for home repairs. Appeal letters and supporting documents may be submitted to FEMA by fax or mail, in person at a Disaster Recovery Center, or online if you have a FEMA online account. To set up a FEMA online account, visit www.DisasterAssistance.gov, click on “Check Status” and follow the directions.


Those looking for a referral from the fire department to fill out assistant forms can use Jenie Maloney’s (president of WRFD).  [email protected] / 308.380.3900


We have received word that Hall County has been included in the Individual Assistance Declaration! Other counties included Antelope, Boyd, Burt, Cuming, Hall, Howard, Madison, Nance, Pierce, Platte, and Saline.
If you have not filled out the Individual Assistance form, please go to https://www.disasterassistance.gov   and fill out their form. Or call 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA). They will give you a 9 digit number you will need to keep. DO NOT LOOSE!
ALSO, if you did a form and it show INCOMPLETE or PENDING, CALL it in. They will complete the application for you. They can not keep up with follow up calls to get all of these completed, but will if you call in.

Central Nebraska Humane Society will be handing out FREE dog and cat food.
They have a lot of donated food given to them for fur flood victims.
Come to the City Hall 108 W. 10th Street on Wednesday, April 17th from 5-7.

*Hall County Extension has Moisture Meters available to check out.
Call (308) 385-5088 or stop by the office at 3180 W Highway 34 (College Park building), Grand Island NE, 68801. Office hours are M-F, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, CT.

Use Moisture Meters to Determine When Structures are Dried Out and Ready for Rebuilding

Nebraska Extension is pleased to have moisture meters available for homeowners to borrow from local Extension offices as they monitor structures for moisture levels prior to rebuilding. The moisture level of structures cannot be determined by appearance or time spent drying. A calibrated moisture meter is recommended to measure the moisture content of flooded materials.

Before drywall, paneling or other coverings are installed, wood should have a moisture content of less than 15 percent— less than 13 percent provides a margin for testing error. Homeowners are cautioned to ensure that their home is dry enough to rebuild. It’s common for homeowners to discover large amounts of mold in walls months after a flood because they didn’t wait for the structure to dry out before rebuilding.

Take readings with a pin type meter at various locations in both the middle and edges of wood studs, bottom plates, wall sheathing and subflooring. Note that treated woods (bottom plates) can produce false readings on some meters.

Note that a flooded concrete slab readily absorbs water. A wet slab can lead to flooring failure and rewetting of wood framing. The pin type moisture meter will only measure the surface moisture of concrete.

For severe flooding, homeowners might want to have a building inspector or a professional,
trustworthy contractor inspect the structure before rebuilding.

Jill Schmidt from the Geneva Chamber of Commerce has a group of kids that want to do some service work and help their neighbors. If there is something they can do to help on Friday the 19th, please contact the clerk at 583-2066 and let her know so she can get a work list together

We have a couple of church groups that will be in town this weekend and are looking for cleanup work to do. If you have something you need help with, contact the clerk at 583-2066 and let them know so they can get a work list together.

Don’t forget to check out your air conditioners too. The Fire Dept. does not want to be responding to fires due to the lack of inspections or replacement of Hot Water heaters, Furnaces, Air Condition units, electrical/fuse boxes, etc. damaged by the flood. Prevent it now. Your safety is our concern.

There are 3 valuable links below that can assist you with any one or all of the above mentioned. FEMA app., The Grand Island Community Foundation & the Heartland United Way/Red Cross/Salvation Army.

Heartland United Way/Red Cross/Salvation Army

  1. Attached you will find an application for flood-related assistance. People can
  2. 1) fill it out, save it, and email it to me at [email protected] or 2) print it out, fill it out and get it to our office. We can also get paper copies to you – let me know.

What: The Heartland United Way & Salvation Army & Central District Health Department (CDHD) > Application Assistance + Financial Assistance.

When: Thursday, April 4th, 6:30 p.m.-8:00 p.m.

Where: Wood River Community Center,108 W. 10th Street

The GICF will be in Wood River at the community center on Wednesday April 3rd from 1:00 to 4:30 to help fill out applications for flood relief. If you would like assistance please contact. [email protected] to set up an appointment
The Grand Island Community Foundation is offering grants to those that in greater need of help due to the flood. http://www.gicf.org/grants/central-nebraska-relief-fund

The Wood River Resource center has closed down. BUT if you still need supplies, many things are available at 1028 S. Adams St. in Grand Island. These will be many of the same items that we had in Wood River; cleaning supplies, mops, brooms, etc. They have been donated by the Cajun Navy. If you have trouble finding it, please call Becca @ 308-370-9136.


All Wood River residents should fill out the Individual Assistance form. Please go to https://www.disasterassistance.gov/ and fill out their form. Or call 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA). Everyone needs to do this whether you had MAJOR damage or MINIMAL. They will give you a 9 digit number you will need to keep. DO NOT LOOSE! These numbers will determine the amount we will be given (if given – and it’s looking positive). FEMA, NEMA & SBA, along with a few other individuals, toured the city and assessed the damage from the flood. This is your tax dollars at work. Let’s do our part to help ourselves out. The forms we had you fill out the past few days REALLY Helped! Thank you to those that did them.

SOME FYI: Do not use the zip code. Use the “apply online” link. ALSO, if you did a form and it show INCOMPLETE or PENDING, CALL it in. They will complete the application for you. They can not keep up with follow up calls to get all of these completed, but will if you call in. Thanks everyone! You are all doing a great job!


The Nebraska Energy Office is offering emergency assistance funds to qualifying flood victims for hvac/water heaters replacements. There is an application process. Interested individuals should contact Sharon at the Central Nebraska Community Action Program (308)745-0780.

Basement spraying services-contact Mike @ MDM Pest & Terminate Control-will do a fungicide spraying. Offering a 30% discount to flood victims. Call (308)383-4211

Wednesday, March 27th is last day for dumpsters. Have your stuff here by 8:00 am. No TIRES.

Last call for cornstalks. If you have any that needed raked up or picked up, contact the city offices by Thursday morning.

Anyone and Everyone that did any type of work – home owners, volunteers, family members need to turn in a their hours they provided in clean up. Hours that were recorded on a tag doesn’t need to be listed. Just write on a paper your name, est. hours (aim high), date and what type of work. Take this up to the city hall and we will get it recorded. It all helps if we want to get individual Federal help. We have to show the need.  You can use this form: https://forms.gle/oYu1A7h18q9mc6nQA 

Also an estimate of property damages. We don’t need a itemized list, but an est. of property loss. Just a name, address and dollar amount. You can use this form: https://forms.gle/6ZjCAA5iXz9WSYHm6

Do your part in getting the help you all deserve.

The resource center up at the high school will be closing this Wednesday @ 5 p.m. If you still are in need of something now is the time to get it. There is also going to be another truck of supplies coming in today that we couldn’t get stopped. Open until 8 today.

Roads in Hall County that are still impassable.
Hall County City of Map of Road Closures

Disaster Relief Update

As you may have heard, a Federal Disaster Declaration was approved March 21, 2019 for the State of Nebraska resulting from winter storms and flooding. We know that recovery will take time, but we know that Nebraskans are resilient and together we will recover as quickly as possible.

Having received the disaster declaration, Nebraskans are now eligible to apply for federal disaster assistance. While this is not an overnight process, FEMA has streamlined your ability to apply for funds.

BEFORE YOU APPLY – To make the application process go smoother, it will be important to gather information prior to applying. For a Checklist of items to gather, please go to the following link:


IN ALL CASES, you will want to make sure to keep written documentation of all of your claims, expenses, and take photos of damage, which will help receive financing for your claims.

WHAT IS THE RIGHT PROGRAM FOR ME?  – DisasterAssistance.Gov has a questionnaire to help you determine the best assistance program for you. This questionnaire is anonymous. Go to the following link to access the questionnaire:



Households – The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers affordable financial help to homeowners and renters in declared disaster areas. You don’t need to own a business. Help is available in the form of low-interest, long-term loans for losses not fully covered by insurance or other means. Go to the following link for more details and to apply for assistance:


Businesses – If your insurance, and funding from the FEMA, doesn’t fully cover the disaster assistance you need, you can use disaster loans for a number of purposes. Funds can be used for real estate, personal property, economic injury, machinery and equipment, inventory, active military duty, etc. Click the following link for more info and to start your application: https://www.sba.gov/disaster-assistance/ and https://disasterloan.sba.gov/ela

Farmer/Rancher Disaster Relief – USDA Rural Development is here to help. If you’ve suffered losses on your farm or ranch, please go to the following link to start your application process:   http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/resources/

and https://www.farmers.gov/recover/disaster-assistance-tool#step-1

Municipalities – FEMA’s Public Assistance (PA) grant program provides federal assistance to government organizations and certain private nonprofit (PNP) organizations following a Presidential disaster declaration. PA provides grants to state, tribal, territorial, and local governments, and certain types of PNP organizations so that communities can quickly respond to and recover from major disasters or emergencies. Through the program, FEMA provides supplemental federal disaster grant assistance for debris removal, life-saving emergency protective measures, and the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged publicly-owned facilities, and the facilities of certain PNP organizations. The PA program also encourages protection of these damaged facilities from future events by providing assistance for hazard mitigation measures during the recovery process.

Communities should go to the following link to start:



You may qualify for FEMA assistance even if you have insurance. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by your insurance. So, you need to file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. If there is a delay in your settlement, more than 30 days from the date you filed your claim, you may apply for assistance from FEMA. You will need to explain the circumstance.

You must provide proof from the insurance company that you filed the claim. If you filed over the phone, you must provide the claim number, the date you applied, and an estimate of how long it may take to receive your settlement. Any funds you then get from FEMA will be an advance and must be repaid when you get your settlement.

You may apply for FEMA assistance if you still have unmet disaster-caused needs after your maximum insurance settlement. FEMA will request a copy of the claim settlement record and ask you to describe what you still need. You must qualify to receive assistance. If you applied for help from FEMA because of your deductible, FEMA does not cover insurance deductibles.

If you have any questions, call the Disaster Assistance Helpline, 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, 7 days a week: 1-800-621-3362 (also for 711 and VRS) or TTY 1-800-462-7585

Partners for Success,
Sharon Hueftle Executive Director
South Central Economic Development District, Inc.
Ph: 308.455.4770 http://www.scedd.us
401 East Avenue (2nd floor) PO Box 79 Holdrege, NE 68949


Mold & Mildew in Flood Damaged Homes Brochure

First Presb. Church from Hastings is interested in helping install sheetrock for those who are ready (demo complete, sanitized and dry-supplies on site). You will have to provide your own materials. They will provide the labor.
They would like to be here Saturday-Sunday March 30-31, and Saturday-Sunday April 6-7.
Interested persons, please contact Holly at the Clerk’s office before Wednesday, March 27th so I can let them know what interest we have. [email protected]

Managing Septic Systems for Floods

Central Nebraska Community Action Partnership has a Weatherization program that has some federal funds for repair or replacement of furnaces to eligible homeowners. Anyone interested in learning more should contact CNCAP directly at 308-745-0780. Ask for Sharon at extension 111 or Larry at extension 107.

If you are calling in for information regarding repair and replacement…anyone must go through the application process to determine eligibility. If you don’t qualify there is still a possibility through DHHS up to $750.00 They can’t do the work BEFORE an inspection and verification are completed. Just letting you know the process